Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sewing Princess: "I claim this space in the name of...CRAFTS!"

Hello all!

Princess K is back and I am doing some new and nifty things. Besides reading lots of books (my first book review will be coming out soon!) and working, I have finally set up my sewing/crafts room!

This room is actually the extra bed room in our house, right next to our bedroom. (There is a TV and Jeremy is going to move his computer in as well!)
This was not a horrific undertaking, but seeing as how my sewing machine has just been sitting in its box since it arrived almost 3 weeks ago, I was very thrilled to FINALLY find a suitable desk on Craigslist.

Perfect size, great condition, and it only cost me $30. What a deal! This desk is really light and just big enough to hold my supplies. (I have considered buying another small table to house my computer and printer.)

There are four drawers, one of which is a file drawer so I could "file away" all my fabric.

My fabric is folded over some hanging file folders that I cut in half. (Pinterest idea!) This makes it very easy to see exactly what I have.
A drawer for notions, scissors (I have since gotten a rotary cutter, too!) seam ripper, etc.
 The next drawer has thread, fusible fleece, and a chalk pen for marking fabric.
The skinny drawer at the top has my sewing and embroidery patterns, my sewing book, and the manuel for my sewing machine (very important!)
 I also have this beautiful sewing case that Jeremy bought for me.
 Inside is all my embroidery floss....
 Some finished cross stitch projects....
And some counted projects I have on back-up. (DISNEY!)

Now, for the final piece to this crafting space...
THE MACHINE!
 And it's PURPLE!


This machine has ten different stitch settings and only one speed, but the reviews on Amazon said it was great for beginners. So I decided this was a great way to start. (Plus, it's purple! Did I mention that? I mean I have NEVER seen a PURPLE sewing machine!) I tried to just sew on some fabric scraps I had with some black thread.
 The front and...
 Oops! Looks like I was "bird nesting" pretty bad on that first try. Turns out I had threaded my machine wrong. So, take two and a comparison.
 Better!
 Next, I wanted to test stitching with pins so I folded some more of this white cotton

The green line was a "sewing guide" (I just used my chalk pencil to make the marking) since I was trying to sew straight. It actually turned out ok!

I am taking a Sewing Basics class on Thursday at the local Jo Ann Fabrics and I will write up another post about how that turned out. 

Until next time,
Princess K

No comments:

Post a Comment