Thursday, August 7, 2014

Reading Princess: John Green's "Paper Towns"

Hello all!

As a Princess, I believe it is important to further my knowledge through reading....and its just fun!
I'm sure most of you have seen the new movie The Fault in Our Stars.
 
EXCELLENT movie! Jeremy and I saw it in theaters and I am not ashamed to say that I bawled like a school girl in public over this film.

Anyway, I had read The Fault in our Stars several months before the film was released.



Yeah, I sobbed through the end of the book, too. Jeremy was actually like:


OK, enough GIFs! The point is: I loved The Fault in Our Stars so much (besides viciously deleting my kindle copy from my library in a fit of rage) that I had to read more of John Green's novels.

So, the next trip to Barnes and Noble led to the purchase of Paper Towns. (Which is also getting a movie?! STFU!)


http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/paper-towns-john-green/1100211087?ean=9780142414934

(Click the image to buy your own copy from barnesandnoble.com!)

Now, John Green is known for his unique take on the "coming of age"/"American high school" story genre. Green is a mad genius for his ability to engage his characters in unique, and in this novel, highly hilarious scenarios while all the while leading the reader to a grand philosophical turning point.

Summary from John Green's Website:
"Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life–dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge–he follows. 
After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues–and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew."
This book is down right....hilarious! From the "World's Largest Black Santa Collection" to the night of mischief that Margo drags Q through, Paper Towns had me rolling with laughter not even 15 pages in!
While Paper Towns does follow the idea of a "coming of age" genre that is so popular today, it does not revolve around a tragic love story/triangle (how refreshing!)  Not only do we find the hilarity in what we think could be the impossible, but we are also shown that it is never too late to do something outside of your comfort zone...or just plain crazy!
One point I saw very interesting in Paper Towns was the concept of mirrors and windows. Q says something to the effect of everyone looking out into the world only really sees a mirror of what it is they want to see. (I swear, next time, I will actually write this quote down!) This is also true for the way we look at people. We project this image of what we want them to be, mirroring our wants, and that is what we see.
This concept got me thinking about my relationship with Jeremy. I have known him for almost ten years and I realize that in the beginning, I only saw him as a mirror of my own desires. However, as time as progressed and we have grown closer and farther and then closer still, the mirror has begun to crack and break, bit by bit. Where there is no mirror, there is only a window and now I see more and more of him for what he really is. The more of that mirror that fall away, the more I fall in love for things that are uniquely him. I know that the mirror will never fall away completely, but I feel the more time we spend together, the more I will be able to see him as he is.

I highly recommend Paper Towns by John Green to just about anyone and give it 5 out of 5 crowns!



PRINCESS APPROVED!
I intend to read the rest of John Green's books before the end of the year, so check back soon for more reviews!
Until next time, 
Princess K 



















No comments:

Post a Comment