Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Cooking Princess: Italian Egg Drop Soup

Hello again all!
We are back with our first informational post! I am starting off this blogging adventure with a little recipe I tried out recently thanks to this:
The 400 Calorie Fix! A free gift I received from Rodale publishing (I also signed up for a year's subscription to Prevention magazine.) This little beauty is chock full of recipes and meal plans, all under 400 calories each. It even has items for when you want fast food or dinner at a nice restaurant.

The first recipe I decided to try was the Italian Egg Drop Soup.



Yes, that is grilled cheese alongside this great dish. Even with all that bread this was STILL about 400 calories!

So, first we have some ingredients you will need:
 Some chopped onion, carrot, and spinach.
 I threw in a little Rotini pasta for some texture.
 Chicken broth (low sodium for me!)

And finally some eggs!
This wasn't in the directions but a little wine while cooking was required.

Now, I made a mistake right off the bat. Oops! I was supposed to saute the veggies before dumping them into my chicken broth and boiling but...yeah, I'm a dunce. (Will definitely remember that little step next time!)
Once I had some boiling goodness happening...
 I had to let that baby boil for 10 minutes.

BUSY THY SELF!

Then, I had to add the pasta. I also let that boil and bubble for about another ten minutes.
Cat picture time! :D Minnie is super excited, can't you tell?
BUSY THY SELF! (I got to the best part when I needed to start my eggs!)

While my pasta was cooking, and I was recovering from the trauma dealt to me at the hands of a paper back,  I decided to go ahead and whisk my eggs and left over chicken broth together in a small bowl.
The recipe calls for a little Parmesan cheese to top so I went ahead and whisked that in, too. I think it made my soup just a tiny bit thicker (and way more tasty!)
Whisk it! Whisk it real good!
After a few minutes, my soup was ready...and delicious! Jeremy loved it too and even had some the next day for lunch.

This recipe was easy to make, very tasty, and healthy!
Feel free to check out the full recipe below and leave comments or questions.

Happy cooking and until next time,

 Princess K



Italian Egg Drop Soup (400 calorie fix)

Here is what you need:
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 large carrots finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup small cut pasta ( I used orzo)
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

1. Finely chopped carrots and onion.

2. Add tiny bit of oil or cooking spray to your  pot ( just so the veggies don't stick) and heat pot on a medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions and saute for 2-3 mins.

3. Next add 5.5 cups of the broth and the cup of spinach. Bring to a boil.

4. Once a boil has begun, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

5. Add pasta to the soup and cook according to the package directions.

6. Whisk together the eggs and remaining 1/2 cup broth. 

7. Bring the soup to a boil. Stir in the egg mixture, stirring constantly. The egg should form fine strands. (some of my egg formed strands... but not all of it. still tasted great :)

8. Top each bowl with 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment