Monday, July 14, 2014

52 Questions: #2

Welcome back to the blog!
I am continuing with the 52 Questions series I began last Monday. Now, on with the show!

Question Number 2: When and where were you born? Describe your home, your neighborhood and the town you grew up in.

Ah, childhood. Memories....at the corners of my mind....misty water colored MEMORIIIIIEEESSS!!!!....Ahem, forgive me. It's early and my Streisand felt the need to emerge. 
Now, I, Princess K, was born in the magical land of...South Alabama, on a sunny Wednesday in May a little over 23 years ago. My first home was in a small town named Eufaula. (Pronounced: You-fall-ah. Like, "You falla down the stairs!") Fun fact: Eufaula is the "self-proclaimed" Big Bass Capital of the World.
There it is! Some people may recognize Eufaula if they drove through the scenic "Historic District." This lovely stretch of road was featured in the film Sweet Home Alabama. (Sadly, I am unable to find a clip to link...) Full of antebellum houses and history, Eufaula is a visual walk through a history lecture...if it was maintained better. The town is beautiful, but small. Classic small town; everyone knows everyone and their business. You can't go to the gas station without bumping into 5 people who know you or your parents. In some ways, that was kind of nice. In others...eh.

My first home was on the outskirts of town, in a growing subdivision that, at the time, had only 5-7 homes. (Now, its huge!) It was so spacious in fact, that we kept our pony in the backyard. (Yes, Princess K had a pony as a little girl. Be jealous.) My grand-mother's church was right next door and every Saturday (Seventh Day Adventists) my sister and older brother would wave and scream, "Welcome to Sabbath School!" to all the little church folks. (I'm feeling all nostalgic here. *sniff*)

I have lived in many more places in Alabama throughout my life. I've also lived in Houston, Texas and now in Lousiana with plans to see and experience more of this fine country. My first memories of a "home" though, will always be in Eufaula, in that little house.
Share the memories of your first home in the comments below!

Until next time,
Princess K

No comments:

Post a Comment